Whether you’re wanting photos in your wedding attire or you want engagement photos all dressed up or just ‘cause pictures, here’s a few tips on how to be prepared for an elopement / engagement session / couples session that involves hiking with your wedding attire on (or simply wear nice clothes).
Tip #1: Whatever you do, hike👏🏼in👏🏼proper👏🏼shoes!!!👏🏼 You do not want any twisted ankles or killer blisters by the time we get to the top. If you want to wear something other than hiking shoes or sneakers in your photos, bring an extra pair of shoes (heels, sandals, etc.) in your backpack to change into at the top. Also bring extra socks in case your feet get cold or wet or it’s super hot/sweaty to change into after the hike.
Tip #2: Depending on the weather (especially if it’s hot out and/or a longer trail), bring your photoshoot clothes to change into at the top and a towel/blanket to change behind. The last thing you want to do is look sweaty while taking pictures or to have sweat stains on your clothes!
Tip #3: If it’s colder out, you can easily wear sweatpants over a long dress, or leggings under pants or a long dress to stay warm!! Also wear a jacket! Once at the top, you can take off the sweatpants/leggings and jackets real quick for photos (pro tip: also bring a blanket to snuggle up in-between shots. Hand warmers and a hot drink also go a long way).
Tip #4: Bring a towel, wipes, deodorant, makeup, bobby pins, compact mirror, etc. to do some quick touch-ups when we get to the top.
Tip #5: This isn’t necessarily outfit related, but always bring water with you. I don’t care if it’s an easy 1-mile paved trail or a harder 10-mile hike— always. bring. water. Also bring a few snacks or even pack a picnic to eat at the top. Being dehydrated and hangry is not the move during photos.
Where is your DREAM location to go on an adventurous shoot!?? And who wants to take me to photograph you?!
Adventurous Hiking Elopement Photographer
Well hey there – if you didn’t know me already, I’m Emily! I’m an adventurous elopement photographer in North Carolina. I spend a lot of time photographing adventure elopements of rad couples around the world. I’m obsessed with all things elopements, hiking, outdoor adventure, and am truly so grateful that I get to call this my job!!!
If you’re looking for a photographer for your adventurous elopement who will:
- Photograph your beautiful adventurous elopement ceremony and activities through storytelling photos that you can look back on for the rest of your life
- Help you come up with your dream elopement day and itinerary
- Help you find activities in the area to make your elopement intentional, unique, and memorable
…then I’m your person!!!
Visit my website to learn more about me, get to know my approach to elopement photography, and then reach out to me if you think we’re a good fit. I cannot wait to hear from you and start planning your dream adventure elopement!!
Final Hiking Elopement Tips
- Make sure you don’t over estimate your hiking abilities. Do not book me for a 8-mile hike if you’ve never hiked more than 3-miles before! (For the record, I’ve done 10-mile hikes before if you’re considering booking me)
- Here is a gallery from the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Make sure to always follow Leave No Trace (and why it’s important)
- Here are 12 Ways to Have a Unique Elopement
- All-Day Elopement Timeline Examples